This concept relates to connecting devices to the internet. Any device that has a switch to put it on and off can be connected to the internet. The objects that can exchange data are then embedded on the devices. It is a relatively new concept that many people and researchers have given predictions that in the near future, the connection rate will have increased by a big percentage.
Internet of things devices
This is any device or thing that can connect to internet and one that can be remotely controlled. Examples include mobile phones, tablets, and smart watches among other things.
How does it work?
Basically, it enables connection of things. People are also included in things to ensure that the future relationships will be between things and things. Already internet of things has made it possible to have a relationship with people to people and people to things. The way it works is through programming, the connected devices will prompt responses and work as scheduled.
Internet of things works through online platforms such as Amazon web services, cloud, Microsoft Azure among other platforms. Basically, the IoT device will transmit and exchange data or any information to another device using the internet protocols through any of the above-mentioned platforms.
What industries will benefit most from the internet of things?
This is one of the industries that are set to benefit from IoT since programs will be easily set and devices connected to make sure that things run smoothly. The sectors that stand to benefit most include agriculture and transportation. The defense will also benefit since devices will be set up and no human errors will occur hence safety will be guaranteed.
This includes financial institutions which are set to benefit most and also improve efficiency. Retail markets and logistics as well will also benefit from this trend.
- Energy and mining
This is mainly because IoT will generally reduce wastage and also because of the efficiency that will have been enhanced in these sectors.
Personal utilities, especially on health and the hospitality sectors, will reap major benefits when IoT is fully incorporated in our lives. This is not forgetting that smart buildings will also be put into place as well.
The impact internet of things will have on you
Well, it is you as the consumer who will benefit most from the internet of things. But businesses and governments also stand to reap major benefits. Below are highlights of some of the ways this will affect your life.
- Makes you more organized; In fact, through IoT, you will be able to schedule waking up time through alarms, coffee maker will be prompted when to start brewing coffee the toaster as well in order to make breakfast and so on. It makes you more organized in your personal life.
- Transportation. This will actually help reduce waste of energy and also improve on efficiency on our roads since transport means will be connected to the internet of things. It is also projected that traffic jams will be reduced as well due to a more organized traffic on our roads.
- Smart cities. A good example is the city of Barcelona in Spain. Several IoT initiatives have really changed the lifestyle in this city. They have enhanced smart parking, therefore, reducing congestion and the measures have helped in ensuring that the environment is also conserved. Pollution has greatly reduced.
- Monitoring your health. This will be done remotely especially with scheduling doctor appointments and monitor your blood pressure and blood sugar to ensure that you have optimal health.
- Grocery lists. The smart refrigerator will prompt you when your groceries are running low. Even when at shopping malls, you will be able to get reminders of what needs to be included in the shopping list.
- Home monitoring; through smart devices, you can monitor what is going on in your home while you are away. This is especially so for moms with small babies.
- Human errors will be minimized. Well, through the internet of things, automation will be possible and as such, human beings will have minimal access to work with devices hence reducing human errors.
- Security: Since there are so many devices that would be connected together, this can be a security threat to information relating to you or even a company.
- Privacy and data-sharing: Well, how is it possible for your privacy to be maintained when so many people and devices are connected together? This is one issue that technology experts will have to deal with to ensure that one’s privacy is maintained.
- Massive data produced by the devices. This is especially so for companies. it will be a challenge to companies on data analysis, how to track and store the massive data produced by the devices connected to the internet of things
Internet of things trends and predictions
- Well, it is predicted that the number of devices connected to IoT will increase by at least ten billion by the year 2020.
- Again, businesses will benefit most from the internet of things and that they will adopt the concept fast followed by governments and then consumers.
- IoT standardization; There are efforts to standardize internet of things to avoid conflict. This may take some time to resolve but sure, a solution needs to be found and it will, maybe in future.
Is the internet of things real? Will it happen?
This is one of the frequently asked questions. People find it extremely hard to figure out what would happen when there is a system breakdown or errors.
Well, technology experts are considering the impact smart devices such as smart fridges will have on your everyday use. Already, we have smartphones in place. So it is true that Internet of things is real and it will fully be incorporated in the near future. Check out for updates and trends on the internet of things to enable you to get up to date info.
Internet of things is in its initial stages but there are many countries and companies that have welcomed the idea. There are a number of challenges but experts are working on them to ensure that the concept really works.
The internet of things will ultimately help consumers save some money. Governments will also save due to efficiency and accountability and the businesses will benefit most from adopting internet of things in the day to day running of their enterprises.